Al Hakim Hanafiah is a Partner and one of the founding members of HANAFIAH PONGGAWA & PARTNERS (HPRP). Al Hakim started his career in 1983 when he was a law student. With more than 30 years’ experience as a corporate lawyer, he has been advising and representing clients and corporations in numerous transactions both domestic and international.
His Natural Resources practice focuses mainly on the plantations, mining, energy, and oil and gas sectors. With his extensive knowledge and experience, he is widely recognized as one of the country’s most talented and innovative lawyers in the field of natural resources particularly in plantations and mining. He is often invited to speak on natural resources issues at conferences and interviewed for natural resources publications.
Al Hakim is also a leading figure in HPRP’s Corporate and Commercial and Financial Services Practice Groups. He has played a key role in a wide range of significant transactions involving both domestic and international corporations. AEON Group, Bank Indonesia, Golden Land Berhad, IJM Plantations Berhad, IMC Shipping, Kuala Lumpur Kepong (KLK) Berhad, Kumpulan Fima Berhad, Marubeni Corporation, NPC Resources Berhad, Toshiba Group Company, PT Acer Indonesia, and PT Bank Rakyat Indonesia (Persero), Tbk. are some clients whom Al Hakim has been assisting.
With an undergraduate degree in law (S.H.) from Universitas Indonesia in 1985, Al Hakim pursued his Master degree in law (LL.M) at the University of Washington, Seattle, USA in 1987. He continued his study in International Tax Law and earned a Diploma in this study from Robert Kennedy University, Zurich, Switzerland.
Al Hakim is a registered Advocate in PERADI (Indonesian Advocate Association). He is also registered in the Indonesian Financial Services Authority (OJK / Otoritas Jasa Keuangan – previously known as BAPEPAM-LK / Capital Market and Financial Institutions Supervisory Board) as Capital Market Legal Counsel.
Al Hakim is also a member of the Board of Directors of Meritas Alliance, an established global alliance of independent, full-service law firms of more than 170 law firms in more than 70 countries with more than 7,085 experienced lawyers to provide integrated legal services globally, of which HPRP is a member.
For his outstanding work, Al Hakim has received awards and accolades from international institutions, among others:
- Recognized as a “Leading Individual” for practices of Capital Market and Corporate / M&A by Legal 500 Asia Pacific in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017 edition.
- Named as a “Leading Lawyer” in Banking and Project Finance practices by IFLR 1000 in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017 edition
- Recognized as a “Leading Lawyer” in practices of Construction & Real Estate and Project & Infrastructure by Asialaw Profile in 2016 and 2017 editions.
- Listed as a “Asialaw Recommended Individual” in Asialaw Profile 2016 edition
- Recognized as a “Leading Lawyer” in practice of Capital Market by Asialaw Profile in 2015 edition.